Cutting Edge Solutions...

Old Style Service And Values

Attorneys Vic Hill and Brad MacDonald

After divorce, make sure to change your name with the IRS

If you have gone through the divorce process and come out on the other side, it may seem the hard work is over. However, that may not be true. Following a divorce, there are many details that must be taken care of, such as opening separate bank accounts, refinancing a mortgage in one spouse’s name and taking a spouse off of health or car insurance, to name a few.

In addition, if you decide to change your name following a divorce or legal separation, it is important to be thorough in order to avoid any future complications. Specifically, with tax season approaching, it is essential that you change your name with the appropriate federal agencies to avoid any unnecessary audits or other delays in the processing of your income tax filing and return.

If your name has changed since your last income tax filing, whether due to marriage or divorce, you should notify the Social Security Administration of your name change as soon as possible. If the name on your IRS forms does not match the name on your Social Security card, you may run into problems or delays.

However, it is relatively easy to change your name with the SSA. Either go to your local Atlanta SSA office or obtain a Form SS-5 on the SSA website. You can file the document in person or by mail. Just make sure to provide a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree as proof of your name change.

After you submit the form, you will receive a new Social Security card with the same number but with a new name.

Source: Patch, “Does the IRS Know You Changed Your Name?” Jan. 31, 2012